Description

A place where an Irish teen scribbles down her passing thoughts.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Injections.




Let me guess.You flinch when you see that word."I have a huge fear of needles" you say.
Well in this day and age,who doesn't?


It's not from the pain, sure the doctor repeats 'its just a pinch' only about 50 million times before jabbing a thin, silver death sword into your arm.


But rather the physiology that what they are into you is in fact the actual thing that you are trying to protect yourself against!
Or maybe it is just that a complete stranger is inflicting pain on you while you just sit there, taking it,like a helpless dummy or something.

Whatever the reason,I have decided to help. It's funny how this time last year I was just as fearful as anyone else as needles, avoiding them at all costs, and less than a year later I willingly agreed to self-inject myself every fortnight. Ironical, isn't it?(and yes that is correct grammar)
Anyway, now I like to think of myself as a somewhat 'pro' at injections (even though I still loathe them with every fibre in my body - and I also still come close to fainting every time I get blood tests, but that's a different kettle of fish)

So seeing as the first of three injections for the cancer vaccine was today, I thought I'd make a 'how to not have a horrific injection experience'. (I'd say "how to have a 'good' injection experience" but let's be honest, it never is.)



step 1: DO NOT, I repeat do not surround yourself with nervous nellies who hate injections and mention them every second sentence before getting it done. Even the master herself let it get the better of her today when my best friend had me bouncing off my seat in anticipation.
Try your best not to think about it and keep yourself occupied until the needle is in the toxic bin after helping you on your way to a healthier life.

Step 2: make sure you eat a good meal beforehand and bring water for straight afterwards aswell as your fave sweeties/chocolate -you deserve them. This will prevent fainting: an unnecessary inconvenience to your day and a potential reason for you to avoid getting an injection the next time.

Step 3:
bring/wear a t-shirt or sleeveless top for easy access.

Step 4: take deep breaths and relax as much as possible during the injection. Relaxing makes a HUGE difference to the amount of pain you will feel (if any.)

Don't feel like an idiot/embarrassed if you do faint/have a bad reaction to it. It's out of your control. If you feel you are about to faint, SAY IT. 

In the doctors office I was too embarrassed to tell my sister and ended up almost blacking out just before she noticed. Drink water and put your head between your knees. A girl in my class today had a convulsion, it was shocking!